Play the Tutorial and you will learn the key things about the game.
Next find some friends that play the game or join a clan and play with them as much as possible. The more you play the more you will learn the heroes and their skills.
Choose to get better
- Watch Nigma's Basic Tutorial Part 1 and Part 2 .
- Watch Nigma's Guide to Being a Better Player .
- Use the Yet another Big Hero Guide! wisely. Print out guides for your favorite heroes if you can't alt-tab mid-game.
- Read From 1400 to 1780: how a non-Dota player climbed his way to mediocrity (pub allstardom) to keep you in the right mind-set.
- Don't be a jerk . Cussing out other players is not ok! But feel free to tell them they suck and why.
- Don't play public games, they are a deranged version of what the game is supposed to be and the home of pubstompers. Also, you won't get any Goblin Coins here. Public games are for when you just want to dick around with your friends and also the only option if there's 6 or more people who want to play together.
- Don't resort to cheap tricks like Ninja-hosting to bump your PSR, you'll just get pushed back down again, hard!
- More to come!